301 Montreal Street
The Arts Centre Registry Additions Building
(access from The Arts Centre Market Square)
PO Box 22 351
Aotearoa New Zealand
COVID-19 Level 1 hours:
Tuesday – Friday: 11am – 5pm
Saturday & Sunday: 11am – 4pm
Monday & Public Holidays: Closed
Nau mai, haere mai.
Welcome to The Physics Room.
Public Health under COVID-19 Level 1
The Physics Room is open and will operate according to government guidelines to support community safety and reduce the risk of virus transmission on the premises. Measures include:
- Hand sanitiser available at the volunteer desk inside the front door
- Door handles and volunteer desk wiped down with disinfectant
- All visitors are required to provide details for contact tracing
- Gallery entry monitored to ensure 1 metre physical distancing at all times between individuals/groups
- We ask visitors to avoid entering the gallery if they have cold or flu-like symptoms, or have been in contact with people with cold or flu-like symptoms
We are sometimes closed to install or deinstall an exhibition, so please check our home page for confirmed exhibition dates.
We are glad to offer tours of the The Physics Room outside current gallery hours on request. Please call our office on (03) 379 5583 or email our team for more information.
About The Physics Room
The Physics Room is a contemporary art space dedicated to developing and promoting contemporary art and critical discourse in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Based in central Christchurch since 1996, we assist art practitioners with resources and opportunities to achieve a higher level of professional and creative development, and encourage a greater acknowledgement, understanding and value of contemporary art among New Zealanders. Our goal is to actively seek links between the arts and other areas of cultural production and to involve art as a contributing voice in wider intellectual, social and political debate.
The Physics Room is a charitable trust governed by a Board of Trustees.