Initiate - An
open discussion on Artist Initiated Projects presented by Artists Alliance
and The Physics Room
Date: Monday 15th September, 2003, 6pm- 7.30pm
Venue: The Physics Room, 2nd floor, 209 Tuam Street, Christchurch
Panel of speakers: Karl Chitham; Sam Eng; Tessa Giblin; Stuart Griffiths
- Karl Chitham is author of 'Initiate - A resource of artist-run
projects in Auckland', a research document prepared as a guide to assist
artists in developing or initiating their own projects and to aid in
production and exhibition of their art practice. Karl was also
a director of
an artist run initiative in K R'd, Auckland.
- Sam Eng is co-Chair of the High Street Project, currently the longest
lasting artist-run-project space in New Zealand. The HSP has been through
changes to funding and space, and is about to launch
a public-access archive.
- Tessa Giblin is coordinator of Gridlocked, an itinerant project
which facilitates artist projects in available street-level retail
space. The project has received community and business support as well
- Stuart Griffiths was part of The Physics Room board during the
transition from South Island Art Project, to the gallery-based organisation
in 1996. He is currently involved with the Higher Trust, a Dunedin-based
artist advocacy organisation.
Speakers will briefly introduce their own involvement with artist-projects.
Following this, the floor will be open for audience questions and
discussion on topics including:
- Funding - the possibilities and problems
- Support for individuals working on artist projects
- Archives and documentation
- Different organisation structures and the role of a Board
- Responding to new developments / enforced changes
We hope the session will be an interesting and productive opportunity
for individuals and organisations to share information and develop networks.
Representatives from WINZ and CNZ will attend the discussion.
Everyone is welcome, to give us an idea of attendance numbers, please
rsvp to The Physics Room :
Rosemary or Jess, ph 379 5583
or email firstname.lastname@example.org