Strasse der Nationen (Street of the Nations)
Strasse der Nationen is a road leading to the Konzentrationslager
(Concentration camp) Sachsenhausen in Oranienburg just north of Berlin.
Prisoners, many Jews but also including homosexuals, gypsies, Mormons
and political prisoners were marched.
Prisoners from the Emsland Camps were ordered by the SS to build the
Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp in Oranienburg in 1936-37. With function
and geometry in mind, the design follows an "ideal plan": a triangular
ground plan, symmetrical construction, barracks spread out like a fan
around the roll call area and special spaces dispersed throughout to
achieve the ultimate architectural expression of control and terror.
Sachsenhausen acquired a special role within the concentration camp
system because of its proximity to Berlin and to the Gestapo headquarters
on the Prinz Albrecht Strasse. A large contingent of SS officers were
stationed there. In addition to being a concentration camp, the area
served the entire National Socialist domain as a training base for concentration
camp commanders and prison guard personnel. In front of the entrance
to the camp, residing in the so-called "T-building", was the "Concentration
Camp Inspection" which since 1938 was responsible for managing all the
Approximately 200,000 prisoners from almost forty nations were incarcerated
at Sachsenhausen. This included people who were persecuted because of
their political attitudes or race, including members of the resistance
movement, Jews, forced laborers, prisoners of war, homosexuals, so-called
"work-shy" people, and "professional criminals", "habitual criminals"
or sex offenders. It is estimated that 100,000 prisoners were murdered
there. Starting in 1941, mass murder of more than 10,000 unregistered
Soviet prisoners of war was committed either by gassing, shooting in
the neck, or by leaving typhus untreated.